Sunday, August 29, 2010

OUR INNER CHILD

It's Sunday night & I decided to write instead of watch the old Alfred Hitchcock shows that the T.V. is tuned to.  Great old shows of course. Part of my personal childhood.  Loved Alfred Hitchcock Hour every week.

Our inner self, our higher self, our inner child...what are all these parts (and more)??

Our inner child is a term used to describe the part of ourself which is the parts & the sum of our childhood experiences & perceptions of those experiences.  Young children are VERY literal.  So when an adult says something to them they take it literally & possibly differently than we may have meant it. We might use a metaphor or example & they might take that literally.  An example which i recently cited to someone...When I was teaching preschool I once was helping a 4 yr old get his shoes on.  I was really struggling to get the first one on his foot and I said  "Does your mother have this much trouble getting these shoes on?"  And he replied  "My mother doesn't wear these shoes"  Ha Ha it was very funny,  however a great example of how little ones perceive things.  So anyhow...all those jillions of things your parents & teachers said and did to & for and about us are all in our subconscious' and are possibly affecting our lives in many ways.  Current experiences may trigger some of those old experiences and perceptions from childhood. And we get upset or things go badly over & over again.  That's the inner child in a nutshell.  Hypnosis is an appropriate avenue for speedily cleaning up some of that and learning to protect and care for that part of ourselves the way no one ever did for us when we were young.

Here's another example.  I had a young adult friend who kept telling her  2 yr old he was "bad" when he did something "wrong".  I went a little ballistic over it because I have seen and experienced the damage that word can cause.  The really interesting part came when the young mom accused me of calling her a "bad" mom.  I actually had told her to simply tell him it was unacceptable behavior. And that calling him "bad" was  unacceptable.  The whole thing was proof of what I was saying to her.  She felt "bad" because she was probably told she was "bad" just as she was telling her child . 

In the long run I accepted the idea that this behavior is what keeps me in business.  I am sure we have almost all experienced the feeling of doing something bad or being a bad person or however that takes form for each of us.  I can not tell you how many clients I have seen who seem to have a vague feeling of being bad. Or that they have done something "wrong". 

Well, I had planned on writing about our "inner self" in this blog but it seems the inner child needed to be heard!!!  So next time....

Have a great week.  Get lots of rest & do something that your younger you might like to do.  Something SAFE & FUN !

No comments:

Post a Comment